Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Dark Window: Seeking Some Blogging Advice From The Big Guy

Prepare to be horrified...

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Seeking Some Blogging Advice From The Big Guy

So it's my birthday today and that can only mean one thing...Existential Crisis!

Yes, you may have noticed a certain lethargy in our recent entries here at the Dark Window, a certain je ne sais quoi. Okay, actually I do know quoi. I originally started this blog as a way to procrastinate from writing my poorly-planned novel that nobody will ever read and so far it's worked brilliantly. But the question now occurs to me...How long should we continue this madness? How long should the Dark Window remain open?

Thinking along those lines, I've been asking myself several questions. Is the blog still fresh (was it ever?) or have we fallen into a rut? Is it funny? As funny as Jamie at least? Or have we become that dreaded blog that people simply read to fill time between new posts at Sadly, No! and World O'Crap?

Perhaps more importantly, do we serve any purpose? Do we respond to any higher calling? Fortunately, our last post about Judge Roy Moore solicited the following helpful comment from our new friend Pablo:

Hmmm, and yet more people listen to this guy than they do to you.

This is undoubtedly true. But there's more to Pablo's wisdom.

He's achieved more than you ever will, and his talents, views and abilities will make a difference in the future, unlike yours.
How do you feel about that?


Surprisingly indifferent. But maybe Pablo has a point. Given my lack of "talents, views and abilities," what would my higher caller have me do instead?

Should I follow in Roy Moore's footsteps and become one of Vox Day's dreaded media whores? Should I devote more time to putting giant rocks in public buildings so as to amass a sizeable following of doting Wing Nuts? Should I stop mocking Christ-like figures like Pat Robertson, Doug Giles, and Karl Rove and instead throw myself into the work of the kingdom (i.e. re-installing George W. Bush)? Should I disappear into the wilds of Mexico like Ambrose Bierce?

I needed to see what God thought about all this so, already fairly certain that the Almighty would vote for me to vanish with Pancho Villa, I headed over to Pat Robertson's site. Thankfully, there was a very helpful article entitled My Job, My Calling: Can They Be the Same?

I eagerly clicked upon the link, hoping to find some answers for my rapidly-dwindling future.

The article starts with a "quote" from the Living Bible (if you know anything about the Living Bible, you know why I put "quote" in quotes):

“God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to other’s God’s many kinds of blessings.”

Since one of my gifts is mocking poor Wing Nut grammar, I think I'm on the right track already. But while we're on the topic, who besides Jan Crouch reads the Living Bible anymore?


Jan enjoying a passage from the old LB

Can you tell me what success means for you this year?

My own World Net Daily column.

Are you where you thought you’d be at this stage of your life?

Frankly, I always figured I'd have tried jumping my X-1 Skycycle over the Snake River Canyon by this point so I guess the answer would have to be no.

Have you ever had a sense of “calling” in your life? How did you hear that calling?

My mom always calls me at 5:00 AM since she lives on the East Coast and doesn't understand time changes. I wonder if that counts.

Is your work a fulfillment of your “calling?”

I can't imagine the Dark Window being a fulfillment of anything. Well, maybe a prophecy gone bad.

Do you go home at night with a sense of meaning, purpose and accomplishment?

I think "reeks of failure" might be a more accurate description.

God established work before the fall. God placed the first humans in the garden to “tend and keep it.” This work assignment was given before sin entered the world and God pronounced the curse.

Yes, but I have to point out that Adam had a naked chick hanging around while he did his work. That's bound to make a difference.

God blesses work even after the fall. If work were evil, God would never encourage people to engage in it. In Colossians 3:23 we are told to “work hard and cheerfully at all you do, just as though you were working for the Lord and not merely for your masters (bosses).” (LB)

I usually just see work as a way to drown out those incessant voices in my head.

God is saving the greatest rewards for eternity – and work will be among them. Surprise! The saved will “build houses”, “plant vineyards”, and shall “long enjoy the work of their hands.” (Isaiah 65:17-25)

Surprise indeed. I was kind of hoping the afterlife might be a good time to take a bit of a vacation. Instead I'm going to be stuck with a bunch of Jimmy Carters.

There are 3 components that must be blended in our work in order for it to be an expression of our calling.

I'm all ears.

The most common mistake people make in choosing a career is to do something simply because they are good at it. Remembering the happiest times in your life and the times when you felt most fulfilled are better indicators of your calling than just knowing what you have the ability to do. You must have the ability, but that’s only one component.

I certainly didn't start the Dark Window because I was good at it so maybe I'm on the right path after all.

How do you relate to other people, projects, and ideas? Are you analytical and logical, or expressive and outgoing? Are you nurturing, supportive and encouraging or do you thrive when you are working on a project in isolation? There is no “right” or “wrong” here, but understanding your uniqueness will help identify the best environment.

I'm glad there's no "right" or "wrong" here because I'd have to say acerbic, shrill, and mean-spirited.

Are you motivated by the constant search for new knowledge?

More like the constant search for new Wing Nuts.

What are you drawn to even when money is not an issue?

If you've ever read the Dark Window, you'd know that money is certainly not an issue.

What is it that when you are doing it, time just flies by?

Making fun of people.

What God calls us to do does not stamp out who we are.

Score one for the smart-ass.

Here’s a worthy goal:

“The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.” James Michener


I guess this means I should continue the Dark Window for now because it's still kind of fun and, well, I don't really even know what a vision of excellence would look like. We'll re-evaluate once the election is over. But until then, the Window remains open and a steady stream of rocks shall proceed to be hurled from it.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?