Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Dark Window: It's Quite Possible That One Of My Readers Is The Antichrist

Prepare to be horrified...

Thursday, July 01, 2004

It's Quite Possible That One Of My Readers Is The Antichrist

Hal Lindsey's sidekick, Jack Kinsella, has a new column out called Then You Might Be the Antichrist. His point seems to be that one shouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about identifying the antichrist in advance because one will probably be wrong anyway and one should focus on other things. That's actually one of the more reasonable things he's said in a column and I won't knock it. But I thought his opening paragraph was a surprisingly good (if unintentional) summary of how the Religious Right views those on the other side of the political spectrum:

It seems that everywhere one turns, one finds somebody who has diligently searched the Scriptures for clues to the identity of the antichrist, and claim that they have finally discovered it. It reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy "you might be a redneck' skits. "If your name adds up to 666 and you are a liberal, you might be the antichrist. . ."

If there's a more literal way to demonize one's opponents, I must confess that it escapes me.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?